Monday, January 3, 2011

New Year ... what will 2011 bring?

So, I just got back from an awesome weekend with good girlfriends in New Orleans. Honestly, I can't think of a better way to ring in 2011 than spending time with some women who remind me how lucky I am to have friends that are like family. These are women who know me so well that I can say catty, bitchy things and they just smile or laugh instead of thinking I'm totally a mean person.

A couple people of asked me today if I made any resolutions. I'm not really a big fan of resolutions because usually I find that the ones made around New Years are kind of vague and not so easy to stick with. I mean, seriously, when haven't I wanted to "stay in shape and look/feel better." I'm always working on that.

Plus, why do people feel like the start of the new year is the best time to try a bunch of new things all at once. It's kind of putting a lot of pressure on yourself.

Instead, I generally try to set goals throughout the year. Some of them are specific goals: Sell my condo. Others are more general: Try to eat less red meat and drink less soda.

But in the spirit of the new year ... and to satisfy the questioners ... I thought I would write down a few of the things I"m working on in no particular order of importance.

*Run the Disney Princess Half-Marathon on Feb. 27 -- so that means get my butt in gear with the training. First step was putting the training schedule together, so now I actually have to run.
* Run the mini ... perhaps followed the next day with the Flying Pig in Cincy. That depends on how my knee holds up.
* Sell the condo. I think it's coming off the market until Spring and then we'll give it another go. I'm envisioning my new home at Christmas for next year already.
*Run the Dublin marathon for team in training in October. Raise a bunch of money and go to Ireland. Score!
*Write at least three good projects in the first half of the year --- already working on some of that.
*Enjoy myself and don't push myself too hard. I have to continuously remind myself to take time for me ...
*Learn to use my new crock pot to make delicious meals.
*Get some work done on the book project.
*Teach some new students how to write better.
*Hit a new high score in bowling.


Ok ... I'm tired. You see why I don't make January resolutions -- I already have a long list of stuff I'm striving for. But this was a good way to remind myself what kinds of great goals I have and that they are totally achievable.

Love y'all and happy, happy new year!
Jess

No comments:

Post a Comment