Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Motivate me

Here's the thing about motivation: Sometimes you have it. Sometimes you don't.
When the alarm screeched on this morning on at 6 a.m., I did not have it.

So, I laid there for a snooze, twice. Then I figured I better call Peppermint Patty and get her moving, if that was possible. I don't think she had motivation either. So, I laid there some more. I even decided that today, with rain coming down and 34 degree temps, I could skip the gym.

Then a funny thing happened. I started to think about boot camp. And I thought about all those women who were already finishing up their workouts for the day. And then I thought about what Chris and Kara -- the best coaches ever -- would say to me. And it would not be to just roll over and go back to bed.

So, I got up. I went to the gym, only about half hour later than normal. And I hit the elliptical. I even managed to try the 20 incline, which lasted for about 2 minutes until I thought I was going to puke. I saw a new stand full of medicine balls and decided to test out a few former boot camp moves.

All in all, it was awesome. And as I sit here at my desk, I'm feeling really good and proud of myself for not giving up on the goal of hitting the gym every day this week. And I'm doing the Snowman Shuffle on Saturday so I have a week full of exercise ahead of me. For the moment, I believe I can accomplish it.

An old friend from high school, who I've recently been emailing with on Facebook, told me about a neat website that I went to check out this morning -- www.43things.com

Basically, it lets you log your goals. They suggest making 43. I gave it a whirl and it was pretty cool. I'd already made a list on a scrap of paper that I'm carrying around with me about some things I want to accomplish in 2009. There aren't 43 things on that list, so I expanded it a bit and if I don't reach all these 43 goals in 2009 it won't be the end of the world. I think it might need a little adjusting, particularly if I'm going to let it expand beyond 2009. But it was a cool exercise.

Now I just need to find some motivation for the story I have to write today.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for posting these thoughts, because it's hard for me to get motivated. My other friends expect me to be committed to weight loss and eating healthy, because I was just as pushy with them. LOL! But, more importantly, I will have to remember your words, so that I can get back on the wagon -- the one that ran over me and is steadily cruising without me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't worry, I laid in bed this morning for you. You are welcome.

    ReplyDelete