Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Day 10 -- gifts everywhere

Just wanted to say a short thing about yesterday's giving challenge. I was feeling like a cheater-face because of Christmas and having a stash of gifts to deliver over the next few days. But then I realized that even when you have expected gifts, there are opportunities to give some unexpected things.

I was having lunch with my fire department friend and source. I had a plate of cookies for him. (I also took some to my police friends too so I wasn't playing favorites.) But as we were talking, he told me that he was going to go shopping for a couple of kids that he'd learned about who were too old to qualify for the Angel Tree program. Their mom had called seeking some help. He'd done a little research and was heading out to do some shopping. I gave gifts and clothes for two Angels this year, but it was a good reminder that there are lots of people in need. So, inspired, I gave him $20 to use toward his shopping. That was a thought I might not have had if I hadn't been thinking in the 29 Gifts mindset lately.

So, on to today -- I have a gift waiting in the car to give at our girls night gift exchange. I'm super excited to give my gift to Heidi. Hers was the first gift I bought this season -- way back in September while in Chicago at a craft fair. (actually the coolest craft fair I've ever been too.) It just screamed her name. I couldn't resist.

But I had another one of those unexpected moments today. Co-workers and I went to lunch and one of them forgot to pay for a cup of soup as we divvied up the bill, so I just put it on my check. No fuss. No telling him about it. Just an extra gift for today's challenge. : )

Can't wait to finish up work tomorrow afternoon. I've been super busy here -- two stories and a blog today and I'm so stressed that the entire left side of my neck has decided to revolt and tighten up into a giant painful knot. I've tried yoga poses, stretches, tennis ball on the trigger point and drugs to no avail. I'm hoping it goes away soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment