Sunday, December 13, 2009

Hidden gems

Healing isn't a fast process. I wish it could be.

But one thing is for sure, a baby can put a smile on my face like no one else. Spending a week with Maria and Press in New Orleans was just the break I needed. The baby loved on me unconditionally. Maria needed my help. And it was great to be needed.

Sadness is still a common emotion but I'm doing everything I can to work through it.

I've found a couple ways to do that I think.

First, I'm going to start training for a new marathon. This time I'm going to run with TEAM in Training and raise money for the Leukemia/Lymphoma Society. I'm aiming for the San Diego marathon on June 6. Anyone want to donate, let me know and I'll tell you how. I have to raise $2,900.

Second, I'm going to try something out of a book I just read called "29 Gifts: How a month of giving can change your life." The idea is that if you give freely, with intent, that you will be open to the riches around you. I consider myself a pretty open and giving person most of the time, but I don't think I make a real conscious effort to give every day. This book has inspired me to give it a try. The gifts don't have to be big or material even -- can be a phone call or a letter. Just given freely, without expectation and with intent.

So, I tried to start it today. I was at Michael's getting some crafting supplies for a couple of Christmas projects I need to finish. The lines were ridiculously long and of course, very few clerks. The lady behind me, laden with tacky glue and glitter, was getting huffy. She was not practicing being in the moment.
A clerk came up to an open register and motioned to me to come over and he would check me out. My gift for today was to let the huffy lady go first. I made a conscious choice that that could be a gift, even though I was pretty annoyed by all the waiting myself. Of course, being as huffy as she was, there was no thank you or anything. But that was ok. Because I actually felt really good about the gesture. Small gesture as it was. And I debated for awhile tonight on whether I should count that as my first gift. But I decided I should because this whole thing is not about the cost or the grandness of the gift, but the act of doing things for others.

So, I've started. Anyone want to join me and try it out? Want more information about the idea? Go to www.29gifts.org -- or grab the book at the nearest bookstore. It's out everywhere for the holidays.

Just keep me in mind and keep sending the good karma my way. The way I see it, if I can send some good karma out into the universe, some is bound to come back, right?

And I want to share this gem I picked up at an assignment tonight. I was at a memorial for children who have died and it was seriously sad -- just what I need. But I heard this quote while I was there and it meant a lot to me. So I share it with you.

"The world breaks us all. Afterward, some are stronger in the broken places." -- Hemingway.

No comments:

Post a Comment