Thursday, December 31, 2009

Ringing in the new year ...

I'm not going to say good riddance to 2009 -- it hasn't ended on a particularly happy note this year but I can't say it was all bad. When I think of where I was a year ago, I know I'm in a much better place. I didn't expect to be battling heartbreak again, but you just never know. I am very happy for the good times I had this year with Ben. It's hard to say goodbye, but I'm letting it go. I deserve better than I've been treated recently. And for a change, I know it.

The gift giving has been good for me ... not sure what today's gift will be. My motto for today is "Today I give with hope." So, I'm looking for opportunities.

Day 17, which was Tuesday, was my sister's birthday. I had left a present in Detroit for her. She's a fantastic sister who works really hard and is carrying more of the responsibility at home of helping my dad. She's got a beautiful new house and great step-daughter. And I think there will be some wonderful things happening for her this year.

Day 18: Wednesday. I got an email from Big Brothers/Big Sisters of Kentuckiana encouraging people to give 20.10 before the new year. I've been a big sister before when I lived in Port Huron. And I've thought about doing it again here, but I'm just afraid I wouldn't have the time to devote. Plus, I do try to spend time regularly with my little friends -- kids of co-workers. So, I think that's informally the same thing. So, for Wednesday's gift, I sent in my $20.10. It's a good cause and I do like to support them even if I can't make the time commitment.

As I'm heading into 2010 I have been making a goal list. These are not really resolutions, just a list of things I'd like to try this year. A bucket list of sorts. There were some things I didn't get to last year -- like I still haven't visited Shakertown. And I've got two marathons on the list for this year -- San Diego and Chicago. (anyone who wants to join in or just travel to cheer me on is welcome.) I'm going to raise $3,000 for leukemia research. I'm going to actually start writing these books and stop just talking about it. I'm going to be ready for adventure. I'm going to pay off my debt. And I'm going to see as many friends as possible.

And inspired by Kat, I'm going to write a letter to someone every week and try to reconnect with people and the art form of letter writing. And I want to be better at writing thank you notes.

I want to thank you all for being there for me this year. I'm going to continue to need your support and friendship. And maybe there will be some new friends this year too. I'm open to suggestions this year -- looking for adventure, dates, laughs, etc.

Happy New Year!
Love you all ...
Jess

No comments:

Post a Comment