Monday, December 21, 2009

Giving, giving, giving

So, with the holiday rush in full swing I haven't had a lot of spare time for blogging. So, while it's quiet this morning I'm going take a few minutes to hammer out the updates from the past few days of giving.

Friday was Day 6 of the 29gifts challenge. I had a couple ideas but a wonderful opportunity came for me as I covered an assignment. I'd gone out to the site of a horrible crash that happened on Dec. 18, 2008 where four teens were killed when a teen they were getting a ride home from ran from police because the car he was in was stolen, lost control and slammed into a tree. All four of the boys -- twins Demar and Jemar and their brother Marc, and their friend Aaron -- were all killed. The driver now is awaiting trial on four counts of murder.

Over this past year, I've thought about these boys often. They were true victims. I covered their funerals. I've spoken with their parents many times. But Aaron's mother, Robin, always leaves a mark on my heart when I speak to her. At the memorial on Friday, she bent over and hugged the tree where the crash occurred and now a wreath with her son's picture on it sits. Aaron's twin, Andrew, went to school to honor their memories.

After the memorial, Robin was in no shape to talk to anyone. But I had to give her a hug. She grabbed me so hard and sobbed into my shoulder. All I could do was tell her that she was in my thoughts and prayers.

Some may say that as a reporter that's not my place or my job to give any comfort. But first of all, I'm a human being and these stories touch people. And they can't help but touch me as well. I've never believed it was unprofessional to share a hug if that's what feels right. So, Friday, my gift was a hug.

Saturday -- Day 7. I was going to meet up with my running partners to get in a little exercise and companionship. But a cold rain kept us from our run and forced us into a cozy coffee shop. Denise and Maggie have been with me through a lot in the past few months. They were the ones who scooped me up off the asphalt when I went splat. And they've been there to pick me up off the emotional asphalt as my personal life has been going splat quite a bit lately.

I made each of the girls -- and Michelle too -- scrap books with some of our running photos in it. Just reminding them what we've been through and giving us some inspiration for the future. In fact, both of them are thinking about joining me in my leukemia fundraising to make the trip to San Diego. You can't order up friends better than that.

Sunday -- Day 8. Christmas has made it a little easier to give gifts. And I've wondered if I'm cheating by doing this during the holidays. But I've decided I'm not. In fact, I've given more gifts than I've written about but have tried to pick the ones I've been giving with no sense that there would be something in return. I'm trying not to write just about those gifts given where I know I'm getting something back. And I'm trying to focus on the meaning behind the gifts ...

On Sunday, I was able to give gifts to the Lusters and my friend Sara. The Lusters are like family to me now and I was able to give them their presents as Linda and I spent the day baking cookies -- something I wasn't feeling strong enough emotionally to do by myself this year. It was a good day.

Today -- Day 9. I have said cookies in the car ready to take to a few people. Meeting up with a friend from the fire department for lunch to hand off my gift to him for all he does to help me all year.

The mad rush toward Christmas continues ...

No comments:

Post a Comment